Sunday, February 22, 2015

Dorrigo




I just may have left a piece of my heart in Dorrigo.




As we turned east towards the coast from Ebor Falls the countryside soon became lush and fertile with green farms spreading before us on the undulating Dorrigo plateau. Although only about 40 minutes drive from Ebor Falls, it seems almost a world away.






By the time we reached the Dorrigo Rainforest Centre it was 6pm, the clouds were closing in, drizzling gentle rain, and the light was fading. No one else was there but the access gates were still open. We took a quick walk out onto the short elevated boardwalk, as I tried to huddle my camera under the shelter of an umbrella. Below you can see the rainforest floor. Should we just head for home - or hope the rain holds off long enough for a quick walk through the rainforest?






One look down the ramp and we decided we had to venture further - after all, J said the tree canopy would protect us from most of the rain....








We were soon entranced by the wonderland below. We could hear some birds and with no other visitors, the atmosphere was truly amazing. The camera managed to capture these scenes much better than the naked eye for the light was quite dull.










For over twenty minutes we kept following the winding path, enjoying every turn, not wanting the journey to finish. Deeper into the rainforest and the magic it held.






But then it really did start to rain, enough to put the camera safely away and decide to retrace our steps. What lies beyond that curve? I will have to return another day to find out. Rainforest is my very favourite habitat in the world. 

There are many tracks and more areas of World Heritage listed rainforest in the Dorrigo area. I last visited Dorrigo on our honeymoon, nearly 25 years ago - and have been wanting to return ever since. The Dorrigo Rainforest Centre wasn't here then - it's the perfect way to enjoy a taste of the rainforest, very accessible and user friendly. I can hardly wait to return for a full day of rainforest walking, hoping to bring the younger six children (and my husband when he is well enough) who weren't able to come this day. 






Back onto the road and down out of the clouds, we followed the Waterfall Way all the way to Coffs Harbour on the coast. The road is an adventure in itself - I see woolly sheep poking through those truck rails!


It was dark by the time we arrived home. A day to savour, having visited the University of New England in Armidale, Hillgrove, Wollomombi Falls, Point Lookout, Ebor Falls and last but not least, Dorrigo. Oh - and the reason for this whole big day out - J had to sit an exam at UNE in Armidale - and he scored a brilliant result! 

51 comments:

Giga said...

Amazing is the rainforest, tall and very green. Despite the rain looks beautiful in the pictures. Congratulations to the son of a great performance on the exam. Regards.

Amy said...

Thats some stunning scenery. Reminds me of NZ, very very similar.

geanina said...

very nice pictures! :)

Ela said...

Just a lovely place ! I love these amazing views ! Great photos !

Erin said...

Perhaps part of the appeal of Dorrigo is its lush like the hills of our childhoods. Yes think it's time to take our younger children to visit too, we also honeymooned in Dorrigo, 22 years ago.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

You are so right Erin. The rainforest also reminds me of Border Ranges National Park which we looked up to from the farm of my childhood.

Janneke said...

These Australian sceneries are amazing, love the rainforest of Dorrigoh, the large trees, it´s like a jungle. You must have all a wonderful time. Even the truck with sheep is so real Australian. Congratulations with the results of J.

Dirk Rosin said...

again great photos !

s.c said...

What an amazing landscape. Real beautiful.

SarahZ said...

What a fun tour this has been! I can hardly wait til your next outing ;)

flowersandhome said...

Amazing Karen! I can imagine you love it there. I think to actually be there must be such an experience even if the light was a bit dull. Your pictures or gorgeous!
Marian

Joy said...

That was really an amazing trip:)
I would love to be there too!

Sylvia K said...

What an amazing and beautiful place! I would indeed love to visit there! Your captures are superb, Karen, thank you so much for sharing the beauty and the delight!! Have a great new week!!

Unknown said...

Wav, fantastic photos of trees- Gorgeous
nature!

Hugs
JetteMajken

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a beautiful place!! I missed that you fit all of those adventures into one day. I thought you were a weeks holiday to be able to fit all of that sightseeing in. Congratulations to J on doing so well in his exam.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thanks Rachael. Hubby’s not been up to even a day out, nor being left alone (for about 12 months now) so when J had to make the trip for an exam, he wanted to give me a one day holiday from all the caring/responsibilities at home - and I didn’t have to drive, nor supervise learner drivers (another first for over a year).
It’s been wonderful to savour this day as I’ve sorted through the photos and researched each spot while collating the blog posts. One day can go a long way.

Michelle said...

It is all so very lovely AND green!

Kirsten said...

Beautiful photos Karen - after all the rain last weekend the waterfall would be amazing!

CountryMum said...

What a stunning place Karen! Glad that you got to enjoy it, albeit a short visit.

Lynda said...

Such a fabulous day out. Your photos are truly wonderful.

Kim said...

I have visited Dorrigo Rainforest a few times; each time I was entranced with it's glorious beauty. Stunning photos, Karen!

Unknown said...

WOW!! What a beautiful place to hike. Your photos are amazing, It looks so green and beautiful there. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Hugs, Linda
My Happy Place


diane b said...

It is a fabulous rainforest. I didn't get to walk far into the forest and I'm not sure why. Probably Bill was tired by then. I would love to return and explore further.

diane b said...

Great photos too.

Dirk Rosin said...

amazing pictures !!

Daisy @ Simplicity Relished said...

This is unbelievable! I don't think I've seen such lovely green for ages. What a great adventure!

Simplicity Relished

HappinessSavouredHot (Julie Saint-Mleux) said...

WOW. Those pictures make me dreamy. If I look out my window everything is WHITE. Thank you for this moment of happiness. :-)

Anonymous said...

Simply marvelous! Incredible landscape and pictures!!

Adam Jones said...

That forest looks ancient. Super post and pictures.

mick said...

Great photos of the Dorrigo area - your photos bring back many happy memories for me from years ago. It is a beautiful place to walk through.

EG CameraGirl said...

I think you made a great choice to stay and check the rain forest out! Even under cloudy skies it's a magical place.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

In hindsight it was a very good time to do so as we had it entirely to ourselves too making it extra special.

eileeninmd said...

I would love to visit this beautiful lush rainforest.. The trail looks wonderful with all the lovely trees and plants.. Cute shot of the sheep. Have a happy week!

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! What a place ~ beautiful and wonderful photography ~ can see why a piece of your heart might be there!

Happy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol

Valerie said...

Glorious scenes Karen - I can almost smell the damp moss and tree bark! Rain, did you say? What's that !!! Wishing you a greatly blessed week.

Gail Dixon said...

Beautifully done photos. I felt like I was there with you, eyes wide with amazement. Congrats to J for making such a great score on his test!

Amazing wonders in my life said...

Amazing place to visit.... Loved all the pics

Anita Johnson said...

I have never seen a place so lush and green, and for these winters weary eyes these photos were quite a treat! Beautiful!

Sharon Wagner said...

So lush and green. Beautiful. Thanks for dropping by my blog!

Mari said...

I could understand why you've left a part of your heart in such a place. It is very hard not to fall in love with its enchanting beauty.

betty-NZ said...

What a diverse series of scenery!

Laura said...

such beautiful views Karen, my eyes are drinking in the green and it is delicious!

Merisi said...

What a dream, and how great that there is now a treetop walk and a Rainforest Center!
Congratulations to J and a wonderful weekend to you both,
Merisi

Arija said...

Did you see King parrots at Ebor falls? It's a while since I was there but I too thoroughly enjoyed the country. Great shots of the rainforest walk.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

The King Parrot was in our backyard - on several mornings. I think it may be a little too cool and high up for them on the tablelands.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

It really does look like a wonderland! Incredible photos and location.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous place!

Jane said...

Hello Karen, your friend Erin suggested I take a look at your blog and I can see why! I live in Dorrigo,just over the hill from those pine trees in your first photo! I am so impressed with your fantastic photos of the Dorrigo Rainforest. Great that you, like Erin, honeymooned here not so long ago in the scheme of things.

amanda said...

Oh, what a world!!!
To walk in a place like this would capture a bit of my heart, as well. There is something magical to me about the green forests with waterfalls like these.
Our landscape is so monochrome, black, white, and shades of gray the long winter months. I long for greens, and rainforest settings are my favorite.
We made plans to visit the giant redwood forests in another month or so, the change in scenery had me incredibly excited. To explore the beauty of our world makes me feel so alive and in awe.

Heather said...

Beautiful photos -- it looks like an amazing place to visit. My T13

fredamans said...

Those trees blow me away! So strong and yet they give a magical feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...